« Home | I love learning this type of crap.From Ochef.com ... » | Lets Go Catch Snakes:R: I was wonderingR: would yo... » | There is something alarming about experiencing som... » | What do you want me to bring you from London? I le... » | My new favorite band::The Pig WarMinus The Bear...... » | No one can/wants to go see Spitalfield with me on ... » | belly911. That is an actual website for a study wi... » | Last night, Eduardo and I watched Benji as part of... » | As of 11:42 AM, I have two tix to see Thursday and... » | Eduardo: little one airlines - nonstop Panda Class... »

I have developed a habit of crafting these almost maniacally fantastical vignettes about what my life would be like if I could just stop working. It isn't that I don't necessarily enjoy my job, because I do, and there are certainly perks and a solid salary, but this is how it goes:

Every day, around the same time, I wake up, argue internally about what I can wear to work that won't get me fired (I hate wearing business clothes, and i hate business casual even more), yell at either Good Morning America or Morning Edition, depending on what media I need that day, and then walk or take the bus to work. Upon arrival, I am happy - in a great mood - but within about 30 minutes that completely sours. Completely, without room for a margin of enjoyment. I don't know what causes this. I wake up thinking that going to work will be great and yet I seem to be unable to remain in the office for even an hour without wanting to climb the walls.

Its not the job itself - because its fairly interesting - but its more the way I feel as a 24 year old dutifully going to work every day and feeling more and more like a cog in a machine. I'm 24 for chrissakes, I really don't want to be doing this yet, or ever...Yet, after this summer I start law school which means like zero free time and then just the looming prospect of finding a better job in the same field I work in now. What else would I do, you wonder? I have no idea. After the days of sleeping in, lazing about, shopping, reading eight newspapers a day wears off...well I don't know what I would mentally occupy myself with.

Two weeks from today and I leave for London. I am so, so excited.

Archives