« Home | I should note that I found that "Mad Dog" painting... » | CRAZY PIECE OF ART OF THE DAY » | As if I need any more shows to become addicted to,... » | Our trip to Spain is really shaping up - especiall... » | I LOVE YOU ZOE WILLIAMS...MY INTELLECTUAL TWIN. » | "Those potatoes were in the deep fat f-ing fryer. ... » | The "Poang, Ektorp and Lack " EntryDate: 23 July 2... » | The "I am a male model, not a male prostitute " En... » | It may be just 2006 and the World Cup is...over, b... » | Its really hard to be happy nowadays.What is happe... »

I had orientation today...it was pretty much what I expected: I sat alone, got scared about failing (the curve), and was reaffirmed in my belief that I probably won't make many friends in law school. One person spoke to me today voluntarily - and that was sort of be/c he was sitting next to me. I even told him that I wouldn't have said anything to him had he not initiated conversation - I think it was just nerves that pushed me into some like, shy and introverted position. I just didn't want to volunteer any personal information and when forced, gave only the slimmest of explanation. Growing anxious about working while in school too, as the 2L's that were our orientation leaders really spoke of how much time you put into preparing for class - and we had to fill out a form vowing to not work over 20 hours a week - right now I am slated for about 16 so who knows...its just a lot of nerves, feeling unprepared (really be/c everyone stresses how incredibly different law school is and how nothing can prepare you, which is horrifying). Buying books was also a costly venture - I have books for only three of the four classes (the fourth is tbd), and still have to purchase a law dictionary and study aids...that was another issue - the two professors who conducted the panel discussion regarding our general fears and apprehensions really stressed that study aids are wrong, and that it won't allow you to think about the law in a personalized way which can then be successfully applied to the exams...and the 2Ls basically swore by them? I just...there really is no road map and its scary. I just want to do well, and for me to keep my scholarship, I have to land in the top 15%. Its overwhelming for me right now. I am looking at these next few days as my last days of freedom, be/c really, once I begin classes, this will be even more in my head - even getting it all done won't really help me feel at ease be/c the indication that I have done well or failed won't come until December. One exam decides my entire performance in one class - participation is nominal, or so we were told today - nominal as far as grades go - it seems the professors really stress being prepared be/c of the assault that is the Socratic method.

Other thoughts today:

I wish Man U would allow C. Ronaldo to leave - its clear the Brits don't want him on the team, and I frankly think they just need to get over the freaking Rooney incident.

The one person who talked to me today actually lives next door to me - weird, and such a small world type of claustrophobia.

The law school is split between two buildings and they have Mezzanine levels - I felt like I was in Being John Malkovich when I was trying to navigate the elevators and the floors - like pressing two buttons to get to the floor in the middle. Its crazy in there, and the elevators smell like...perm and hair dye odor from a salon.

I bought a somewhat tacky colored blue bag which I can fit an alarming amount of crap in which will now, as I am back in school, hold my essentials the way it did as I was in college.

I realize I have seen most of the Law and Orders (original + SVU + CI) that they show on TNT/TBS/Bravo. I suppose two years of watching syndicated episodes will do that.

My Zidane jersey still hasn't arrived - I realisticaly know it won't get here until next month, but I approach my mailbox with extreme anticipation every afternoon, to my dismay, there is no jersey yet.

My trip to Guatemala was...complicated. Its too pesonal to blog about, but as far as the country in and of itself goes, it was wonderful. From the beach (black sand!) to climbing up an active volcano (literally saw hot MAGMA), to seeing Antigua and the clay roofs and brightly colored buildings, it was beautiful and I would likely go back. Their currency, the Quetzal, is so incredibly weak (7.5 quetzals to 1 dollar), that the banks refused to change the quetzals back to dollars - i have heard that even O'Hare refuses to change the quetzal to the dollar be/c its so weak...we got in at like 230 AM so I couldn't investigate first hand.

Pretty sure I didn't develop Malaria as I dutifully took the anti malaria prescription, however, experienced a sickness from something I ate one night that was of epic proportions - I was up all night, in and out of the bathroom. Not pretty.

...I guess that's it for now.

Archives