« Home | Day Two:Eduardo and I slept until about eleven o'c... » | I can't believe i haven't blogged about this soone... » | Day One:Eduardo and I arrived in the UK after what... » | i adore this actress. » | The "Magna Carta: 1, Cherie and Eduardo: 0 " Entry... » | UK All The Way.Expect a long post upon my arrival ... » | "When I first invited George Clooney to blog after... » | The "Pretty Fly" EntryDate: 14 March 2006Climate: ... » | » | The "Post Migraney " EntryDate: 10 March 2006Clima... »

I haven't been following the immigration debate in the US as much as I should but skimming the stories today I have one question: if the House bill would make illegal immigrants felons, that would presumably place them in jail, where our tax dollars would be essentially taking care of them...so its more beneficial for the US economy, aside from how much these illegal workers do for it to begin with, to arrest them and place them in jail where not only will they not be working and paying taxes but will be eating up more tax dollars?

Stupid. Also, limiting when a doctor can care for someone be/c of their immigration status is absurd and ineffective if the goal is to curb illegal immigration. We already bus the uninsured to County hospitals where the care is usually sub par...so what, if immigrants think that they can't get medical care (which is pretty much impossible anyway without insurance), then they won't immigrate to the US? I'm sorry where is the logic and really the punishment, as many MDs don't care for patients who are in need be/c of the health insurance stranglehold as it is?

I might not be completely clear on the facts of these proposals but if its really as accurate as I have written, our law makers have again shocked me with their inability to craft reasonable, realistic, and practical legislation. I guess to be honest I don't see this as a "crisis" compared to the 100s of other problems we are dealing with, that to me qualify for that "crisis" title a bit more. At times I think that lawmakers and citizens think that if we "just get this immigration issue under control" that its just a sleigh ride into better days for all of us, no matter how unrelated.

Archives