« Home | the anti social Its either be/c I am so freaking ... » | I had orientation today...it was pretty much what ... » | I should note that I found that "Mad Dog" painting... » | CRAZY PIECE OF ART OF THE DAY » | As if I need any more shows to become addicted to,... » | Our trip to Spain is really shaping up - especiall... » | I LOVE YOU ZOE WILLIAMS...MY INTELLECTUAL TWIN. » | "Those potatoes were in the deep fat f-ing fryer. ... » | The "Poang, Ektorp and Lack " EntryDate: 23 July 2... » | The "I am a male model, not a male prostitute " En... »

Cherie v. Take Out Order Guy


My attitude has already altered with this distraction that is law school. Case in point: last night, I ordered Chinese food from this really great place, as far as their food goes at least. Their customer service can be a bit fuzzy in the quality department, and last night as I ordered our food, I was really at wits end with the guy - aggressive, annoyed at his incompetance, and really annoyed at how 'meh' he seemed to be taking my order - and it wasn't rocket science, just questions I had about types of vegetables and noodles and such. Of course the order came wrong, but it was minimal so i didn't make that big of deal - but thats really be/c I was sort of hell on the phone with the guy - I complained to Eduardo afterwards and he said, "Little one, I know, I heard his voice and I just thought 'uh oh, Cherie v. This Guy. Not good."

Yeah, I suppose I am not the most easy going person - but now that I had my first full day of craziness (working for like 9 hours and then studying and then running errands, aka the typical amount of work most normal people do, but I am coming off of a pretty easy last year so its taking some adjustment). That adjustment is really coming from my fatigue - I mean, for example, tonight at Blockbuster (Eduardo is watching The World's Fastest Indian right now), the checkout woman was really annoying but I just didn't do anything to stop it. I just let her bleed words like a faucet of boring and useless information for the full like 5 minutes. Whatever, normally i'd just be annoyed and leave to avoid any more time in the Blockbuster but tonight, I leaned against the counter, plopped my large text book down, and just listened to her try to sell me on things like Blockbuster online and why they didn't have Paperchase in for rental. Honestly, it was a situation I would have tried to manipulate to produce the fastest exist possible but tonight, too tired. And I think this is how it will be until mid December, when finals resolve and the semester is finished...and then it will be the like rollercoaster of stress or fatigue or nerves or frantic or whatever - probably all. I am sure Eduardo is really excited about this -

I also got my Zidane jersey in today - I put it on immediately. I love it. I am going to wear it next week sometime, and as I explained to Jliz, it will probably just make me look more strange to my classmates - jersey + crazy bracelets and whatever else I decide to adorn myself with. I really don't fit in with these classmates that I have met thus far - in fact, at the like reception we had, I literally stood alone for five minutes with my tiny plate of raw vegetables, just looking at the room packed full of people, all chatting like they'd been friends for years. There was the frat boy contingent and the girls who hang along - mind you, some people were really territorial about who they talked to, depending on what section you are in - but these Dave Matthews loving, Beer drinking, Cubs fans all were from various sections but were hearded together like they'd all just got back from like, Cancun or something that would bond them more than law school and alcohol. Then there were the marrieds - two girls I met had weddings on the brain - one had gotten married (she was a year younger than me and has been married for a year) and the other was getting married next month. I didn't really feel like I was in law school but like, in a salon or something, talking about stuff I normally purposefully don't concern myself with. But this is the process of making friends and meeting people - I just am really awkward and bad at forced socializing. A couple of people I met were nice but alas, not in my section - and despite that I didn't resort to the "you're not in my section, peace" attitude of some, its discouraging to talk to someone who you know won't realistically be a part of this first year.

Finally, the bookstore for some reason which will probably end up being simply incompetance but that scares me at this stage so I am saying something more acceptable, like...it wasn't their fault, didn't order enough copies of the required texts for my lawyering skills class - well, not having the book seems like the perfect set up to get screamed at for not doing the assignments due next week (the books own't be in until mid week), and be/c its obvious some of my classmates got the book so i'd appear even more like an easy targed for the fun that is the Socratic Method, that I hunted around the De Paul law library and my law library and got the book off reserve and copied the like 15 pages. I will not be unprepared - I keep repeating it as a mantra or something. I think its helping but the truth test will be this coming Monday/Tuesday when I start classes. Tonight it took me an hour to outline the first case I read in Property...but I felt like I understood it? I just need to work on my speed which should come with time, like all things, and I hate that - i just wish I could get it earlier - the study methods, the not having any friends thing - oh and the other part of that no friends thing could be be/c I dropped all my shit off the table on my last day of orientation - not during a break, but during session, so everyone's heads turned as the crap fell off with a thump and it went EVERYWHERE - and of course be/c of the general quiet of the room my whispered "SHIT" seemed much louder. Regarded as a leper since I guess, which explains the standing alone with the plate of raw vegetables at the reception.

One of the attorneys that I work for consistently asks how Orientation is going and I regal him with these stories which he finds amusing - i am glad my humiliation can make someone happy.

Archives