« Home | Date: 12.14.03 Climate: F-ing cold Eating: Eazy Ma... » | Now I know that I am not the only one who thinks l... » | Date: 12.13.03 Climate: Snow is falling and friend... » | Date: 12.11.03 Climate: Sun! Eating: Skittles Feel... » | Date: 12.08.03 Climate: grey Eating: cereal Feelin... » | Date: 12/02/03 Climate: cold enough to break Eatin... » | "Recently, Glass had the opportunity to interview ... » | Date: 11.29 Climate: cold, yet seasonably mild Dri... » | Date: 11.26 Climate: Winter wonderland Drinking: E... » | Date: 11.25 Climate: COLD--lots of snow and grey s... »

Date: 12.17.03
Climate: Wintery gray
Eating: --
Drinking: Coffee
Feeling: Anxious
Listening to: The Smiths/
Watching: Finding Nemo
Reading: The New York Times

Tomorrow I am going to a "group interview" (I hate those) to try to become an after school tutor with Princeton Review for south side Chicago schools. I have to give a two to three minute presentation on anything NON academic.

It is now that I realize that I know about absolutely nothing unrelated to academia.
Jackie, the woman I spoke with, said I ought to do something like "Show them a magic trick"
Who knows magic tricks? Also, isn't that a dangerous word to use nowadays, "trick" i mean? In my mind, sexual favors came to mind...we live in a sick, sick world, I know.

I haven't the foggiest as to what I could "present." I know about/././. the news, reading books? Setting up blogs? Job interviews? Resume/Cover letter writing? How to read music? Hell, even I don't know how I could teach even that in two to three minutes...how to ...how to what.
I can't believe this.

So thats tomorrow. I still haven't heard back from Walter West III on my interview. He said he would "Contact me shortly" but then he said "Happy Holidays"
Does shortly translate the same way to everyone? Did the Happy Holidays comment mean post the new year? OR was it just a kind regard?

I don't know, but i would like to go home, but not with loose ends still dangling.

In other news, I went to traffic court today. Whenever I enter any kind of bureaucratic institution entrenched with mediocrity and uniformity and routine (see "definition of modern day bureaucracy and patronage") I get discouraged about my desire to be a prosecutor.
I got in a minor MINOR fender bender last october, and of course, it was right on Clark Street outside the f-ing Metro when the Ataris were playing (I am sure I wrote about it) and of course, my glove compartment was too disorganized and I just wanted to get the hell out of there, CTA bus drivers, cabbies and little pop punkers yelling at me was just too intense, so I couldn't produce proof of insurance at that given time, so I got handed a nice little ticket. My court date was today, and I had all the correct and orderly paperwork, so it was dismissed of course, but it was quite a trip. The officers that were present sat like insulent frat boys in the front two rows, actually sneering and laughing at the people there, and the prosecutors were scattered and the defense attorneys way WAY too pushy. The judge looked haggard and the bailiff was very intense (I checked my phone for the time, cause you know, an 11 o clock call actually meant 1145 court time) and subsequently got scolded VERY loudly, so of course, the frat boy cops turned to look and of course, jab each other with stupid remarks...

I got out of there alive...and I sprinted to my car, and just as I was about to get an "expired meter ticket" I yelled "Wait thats my car, i'm coming!" and he just wandered off.

Me: 1
Chicago ticketing authority: 0

Now to ponder that 2-3 minute presentation some more...

Any ideas? Feel free to post. I need all the help I can get...and of course, some reassurance that I am not just some academic dweeb that knows nothing but ...school and the like.

I feel like such a loser. These kids are just going to laugh at me...making me feel like I am back in school. Lordy.

Archives