« Home | Date: 11.25 Climate: COLD--lots of snow and grey s... » | Date: 11.23 Climate: Alarmingly warm to frightenin... » | Date: who cares, the days all look the same Climat... » | Date: 11.20 Climate: Warmer, warmest Drinking: Gat... » | Date: 11.19 Climate: Unseasonable record highs Dri... » | Date: Still 11.17 Climate: turning cold and grey a... » | Date: 11.17 Climate: oddly warm Drinking: water Ea... » | Date: 11/11, make a wish Climate: Indian Summer Dr... » | I sent Ryan at Pitchfork a correction letter. Her... » | "JUST FRIENDS...just friends, you know you are in ... »

Date: 11.26
Climate: Winter wonderland
Drinking: Egg Nog
Eating: ...there's that digestive issue again...whatever, it's officially Peppermint Ice Cream season.
Feeling: Hungover
Listening to: Deja Entendu
Watching: Trista and Ryan's wedding, of course
Reading: aka squinting...my optometrist appointment on Monday couldn't come quicker

It never really gets dark here in Minnesota. The snow seems to make an eery reflection through the entire night sky...actually, thats a lie...it's absolutly pitch black for the first fourth of the evening, but the other three fourths which turn to early morning earlier than any other place i've been in, and it creates this propensity for a white light to glow from everything, especially the already electric white snow.
Growing up, it was one of the best parts of staying out late, especially if you were with friends or boyfriends or something like that--like the moon actually rises and gives off an effect of the sun when it rises or something.

Its always a little odd ot be home. The house just feels smaller each time and myself far too big to be in it. Even my attitude has changed: I feel more hard; harsh; cynical and restless. I don't like it; this elitist attitude begins to creep in.
But in other news, I was in Minneapolis last night, visiting my best friend who was throwing a Thanksgiving dinner/party. It was fun, although there was of course an unnecessary fight which capped off the night (a thrown beer can, trash talking, you know the drill). I met these three guys who were simply hysterical.

#1 kept calling me sweetheart and would bring me anything he THOUGHT, emphasis on thought and not asked, I wanted. A glass of water (say what?), a glass of wine (getting better but still strange)...a cigarette (total loss). It was odd and I just kept taking all the "gifts" as graciously as I could...But his dad is an attorney so he felt like he'd struck gold once I told him I wanted to study law. If only it were that simple...

He, in turn, told guy #2 who then drilled me on what kind of law I wanted to study, what I wanted to lobby for (such an idealistic question really)...I asked him where he worked and he said at a media company and I said "oh, are you a graphic designer? You look like one."
His eyes, as guy #3 translated later, just sorta glazed over and he just sat there, trying to figure out why I would say that, I suppose... Eventually he just gave up and we began talking about Democrats.

Guy #3 was the most humorous of them all: very Jon Stewart Daily Show-esque (no joke). Team the three of them together and it was marvelous. Minus the obligatory
"you're really beautiful"
"Can I touch your hair"
"You're impressively ambitious" comments.

the best was the revisitng of the graphic designer comment: #2 just said, "it was so odd to say, like, how do you look like a graphic designer?"
And I told him I had no idea, that's simply how he struck me.

and then he said something to the effect of "I feel like I let you down, like I was saying, oh, well, I almost made money once."
I just laughed.

But of course, in the end, they were the three who got in the fight.
Typical.

I miss my brother especially now that I am home. I got an encouraging email from him though and it sounds like Denmark is treating him well...except he wrote "its weird, it looks like Southern Minnesota."
How anti-climatic.

He's off to Hawaii on the fhird.

Lately, what keeps me going, and getting by, is this:
"Prologue. Ira explains how you can get away with anything, if you claim you did it for love. (3 minutes)"

I say we all try to do something and do it in the name of love to test that little theory.

Game on-->

Oh yeah, Happy Thanksgiving!
(I made my signature pumpkin pie tonight. Mmmm. Maybe someday i'll throw a party and make it for all of my friends who actually read it. Then we could post an invite/rsvp in the forum...)

Archives