« Home | The " gone away" Entry Date: 7.26 Climate: this ... » | Labor Pays Its Dues July 23, 2004 Conservatives... » | The " languish " Entry Date: 23 July Climate: co... » | Today has been a monumentally frustrating day. I c... » | I am listening to the This American Life where the... » | Memorable... Q: Any advice? Is it a move on and ... » | I hate this new blogger template crap.   Today I w... » | The" ihate michigan" Entry Date: 19 July Climate... » | The" Go Ask Alice " Entry Date: 7.12/04--i missed ... » | ...i loved this article, yet this is possibly bias... »

I have been researching tort reform recently and came across this on one of the sites:
The city of Chicago has settled a class action lawsuit filed on behalf of the city's panhandlers. The city will pay each of the city's 3000 panhandlers $450. It's small change compared to what panhandlers' attorneys will "earn" in fees: $375,000 taxpayer dollars. The panhandlers allege that their civil rights were violated when Chicago law enforcement officials ticketed and arrested them for begging on sidewalks. The panhandlers did not accept the city's first settlement offer: free clothes.

I thought it was funny.

ps) the Vichyssoise was a success, as was the rest of the cuisine I conjured up for the weekend--I can't believe how much I love, and am surprisingly good at, cooking. Eddie, however, was unable to enjoy the carmelized nuts, as they were quite sweet and, as we often do, we decided it'd be funny to see how many lemonheads (yum) we could fit into his mouth. 28--probably more but he started to salivate quite heavily and look sorta sick. I took lots of picture* lol. Is this sadistic? Anyway, his gums were all irritated from the sheer amount of sugar shock, so he had to refrain from the salad. I was sad. Later on, though, he ate a hot dog, commenting on "how good it was, and how much it hurt." Maybe we're both sadistic.

Archives