« Home | The" Done, but with errors " Entry Date: 1.26.04 ... » | The" You and the Little Mermaid Can Go F-yourselve... » | The" Addicted to the 'Cause' " Entry Date: 1.21.0... » | The" Welcome to Hell, may I offer you a drink? " E... » | The" Word Of The Year " Entry Date: 1.17.04 Climat... » | The " Don't Know Until You Try " Entry Date: 1.14.... » | The" Race to the Finish " Entry Date: 1.13.04 Clim... » | The" Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Employment ... » | The" Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow " Entry Date: 1.11... » | The" of course " Entry Date: 1.10.04 Climate: slus... »

The" Its two degrees outside! " Entry
Date: 1.28.04
Climate: COLD
Eating: pistachios.
Drinking: Water
Feeling: Okay
Listening to: A mix CD that I just made that has stuff from The Sounds, Britney Spears, DeepDish and Everything But The Girl remixes, Idlewild, The Smiths, Fugazi...you get the idea. its very "random Cherie" (like a variety of Barbie Doll or something)
Watching: THE OC
Reading: Lullaby

I got Eddie hooked on Enders Game. He is almost finished. I love that book; it'd be an interesting movie, so long as that Haley Joel Osment fuck didn't play Ender...

Tonight I went out to Glen Ellyn, since I took the day off work to go to a job interview for a receptionist position at Holmes Place, this uber trendy European health club, huge in Europe, with locales in like Geneva, Vienna, England, Germany, Madrid, etc...its only US locale is in Chicago, due to Mayor Daleys extreme tax cuts and benefits he gives to major corps like Boeing and now Holmes Place to come in...this place was impeccable, almost Stepford-like...it was equipped with Spa, Restaurant, Ion-filtered pool (no chlorine!) in Streeterville. Very money...the interview was insane. The made us act out this innane scene where there was only four spots left in a bunker post a nucleur bomb, and we were given roles, such as farmer, doctor, school girl, rock star, etc. We had to lobby to get in the bunker, and why we were indispensible.
I was the politician, go figure.
They didn't do much else with us, it was so lame. They also wanted us to "introduce the person next to us, and that person, do the same" so fucking lame--so much more "thorough" or so they think, blah blah blah. In that introduction, they wanted us to share a "deep dark secret" with the rest of the group.
The fuck? As if I have one, a) and b) if I, would I be inclined to tell it to like thirty strangers?
Jesuschrist... I just got to thinking that maybe if I had time, i'd set something up like that, were i'd place ONE ad in the Reader or something, and watch people come and do just about anything to get a job nowadays.
Its pathetic. And yet so necessary. I don't know if i'll get invited back for a "real" interview, aka the second round, but today I saw just how far i'd go to get a job where I am not walking outside in the frigid cold, in the ghettos of Chicago, trying to fight for State homecare workers rights, and voter reg. I would have probably barked if they'd asked me to. I think we all would have.
But I went to Eddies and watched the OC while he sat next to me and read Enders Game, as he loathes that TV show... Actually, I laid on him is more accurate; I tend to do that...lay on top or languish half of my body on the couch and armrest, that sort of thing.
He cut his hair so he no longer looks like one of the Strokes.
I knew it was his time when he got his digital camera back from the manufacturer--
Eddie: "I have to get my hair cut"
Me: I thought you were holding out til February, although it was never made clear why exactly.
Eddie: "Yeah, well, I can't. I just, I have to get it cut."
Me: Wait.
Eddie: "Yeah?"
Me: You're so insistent and its so immediate...you took a picture of yourself, didn't you?
Eddie: (laughs hard) "--Yes! How'd you know?"
Me: Suddenly you have to get a hair cut. Its like, suddenly you're aware of the fact that you resemble someone by the first name of Fabrizio?
Eddie: (laughing)...crazy girl.
--
Thats about it. So I wasn't too surprised as he opened the door, with a new coif.
Awww.

Back to the South Side tomorrow.

Archives