« Home | The" Word Of The Year " Entry Date: 1.17.04 Climat... » | The " Don't Know Until You Try " Entry Date: 1.14.... » | The" Race to the Finish " Entry Date: 1.13.04 Clim... » | The" Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Employment ... » | The" Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow " Entry Date: 1.11... » | The" of course " Entry Date: 1.10.04 Climate: slus... » | The" Wouldn't It Be Nice" Entry Date:"The same shi... » | The "Since When Is Ambition a Bad Thing?" Entry (c... » | The "Well What Do You Want Me To Do?" Entry Date: ... » | The "Fish or Cut Bait" Entry Date: 1.07.04 Climat... »

The" Welcome to Hell, may I offer you a drink? " Entry
Date: 1.20.04
Climate: COLD like none other
Eating: ramen noodles cold
Drinking: water
Feeling: discouraged
Listening to: --
Watching: --
Reading: emails

Today I got an email back from Greg Kot saying he'd be a reference for me. I sure hope that helps, because I spent the day at my new job with SEIU 880, knocking on door after door after door in the cold, trying to get people to register to vote on the South side. The best was the 17 year old who couldn't register to vote due to said age, but did join the union, cause he is a government identified home care provider, seeing as he takes care of his twin brother, who is suffering from a gunshot wound in the chest from gang violence.
Eye opening to say the least. They had to keep pulling the couch back and forth in front of the front door as protection of some sort, and his little 12 year old sister kept imitating the gestures I made with my hair, first up then down then to the side then half up...I didn't notice right away. It was sorta sad.
Another house that Sergio and I knocked on (this is the last day I get to go out with a partner; but he was a good one, all things considered we had some fun) we heard a child screaming "mom don't hit me" loudly and crying.
Jesuschrist.

So the domestic squabbles, the rather intimidating groups of men on the street corners...the gunshot victims...and then I had to work the phone bank from 7-9. My day was union spent from noon to nine with a half hour break. Great! I missed the state of the union and was pissed; i wanted to concoct some sort of a drinking game in correlation with how many times Bush said one of his assinine phrases or made a cowboy gesture or face. Too bad.
So this is it.
Welcome to my life as a union worker. But I get healthcare after ninety days.
The plus is that with Kot as a reference, I may have a bit more weight in these job interviews...especially the editorial/writer positions I am tackling tonight. Wish me luck.
In other news, had a spectacular weekend with Eddie. I am really beginning to wonder how long we'll be this happy. Its spoiling me, really.

Archives