« Home | The" Addicted to the 'Cause' " Entry Date: 1.21.0... » | The" Welcome to Hell, may I offer you a drink? " E... » | The" Word Of The Year " Entry Date: 1.17.04 Climat... » | The " Don't Know Until You Try " Entry Date: 1.14.... » | The" Race to the Finish " Entry Date: 1.13.04 Clim... » | The" Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Employment ... » | The" Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow " Entry Date: 1.11... » | The" of course " Entry Date: 1.10.04 Climate: slus... » | The" Wouldn't It Be Nice" Entry Date:"The same shi... » | The "Since When Is Ambition a Bad Thing?" Entry (c... »

The" You and the Little Mermaid Can Go F-yourselves" Entry
Date: 1.25.04
Climate: so f-ing cold!
Eating: still digesting Chipotle from last night
Drinking: water
Feeling: content
Listening to: "The taste of your lips i'm on a ride"
Watching: --
Reading: 100 Years of Solitude/ Enders Game

So for the past few days, i've been adjusting to this job. At first, and I'm not going to lie here, I really hated it, but was excited at the prospect of working for and with something that I felt for. In college especially, I was addicted to those "causes" and now its like I am really happy to be feeling that fire in my belly is back...and not the acid reflux/indigestion fire either.
I don't know how long I will end up doing this, but I think it will be for awhile. The pay isn't great but then again, working for causes like this is never about the pay, is it? And its enough...I am going to try to get a job at a coffee house or restaurant waitressing or baristaing for the morning hours perhaps...because I can't drive to freaking Addison every morning. Its just too much.
The weekend was spent registering people to vote for four hours yesterday in Chicago Heights. I picked up two women, one who wouldn't stop chattering about the bible for the entire ride, and another who had a breathing pattern that resembled snoring, so every time she would breathe in and out, it sounded like she had fallen asleep. I kept looking at her, thinking she'd dozed off, but she was sitting there, eyes wide open. On the way back, I made them listen to This American Life, which eliminated the Bible chatter and the snoring, or at least, tuned it out. They were nice women, though. But again, it was a day of realizing how lucky I am, and how sad I am that so many people aren't. I was faced with this dilemma of knwoing that I want to work within this field, but also on a very capitalistic level, want to make money. As novel as it is to work in an office which is overcrowded, disorganized, and run through the passion of people who want fair rights and treatment for this demographic, I know I couldn't do it forever. It pushes me to get to law school faster, and to really go into a field where I am doing similar work but perhaps getting paid more...Just writing that felt wrong, like I'm a traitor or something. I suppose you can be caring and also financially enterprising...anyway.
I was supposed to go to this Solidarity event co-hosted with In These Times magazine but we never got there...eddie was sick, so we sat in bed and read "100 years of solitude" aloud...and listened to Chopin. It was great. After he felt up to it, we went out to Chipotle and discussed sexual stereotypes and how long we prophesized that we would be together. Its tough to say right now...I did meet three of his aunts and two of his cousins on Friday, and I really loved them. It made me understand their family a lot more...in a good way. In no way did I feel like I was a part of them, but I felt more at home and welcomed. Eh, we'll see.
My mom's heating pad caught fire today. Luckily, my dog's ass which is usually parked on top of it, wasn't, so neither she nor the dog were injured. The heating pad has finally been scrapped though.
My brother is still in Hawaii...he leaves for Alaska in no more than a month. He doesn't like Honolulu though--says its too much metropolis and not enough landscape or something...I told him to go F-himself, its like -0 degrees with a windchill of ten thousand miles...anything is better than this prison.

Archives