« Home | The" Don't Be Like That " Entry Date: Jesse's 20th... » | The" Labour " Entry Date: 3.5.04 Climate: At one t... » | The" Weary " Entry Date: 3.3.4 Climate: feels like... » | my boyfriend's latest boredom -- http://pulse.hal... » | Looks like no one can win. Unwilling Advocates ... » | The" brisk " Entry Date: 3.1.04--My parents have b... » | ps) today one woman I signed up asked me what I wo... » | The" Yep " Entry Date: 2.24.04--my how the time fl... » | The" Its over...already? " Entry Date: 2.23.04 Cli... » | The" Explosion " Entry Date: 2.16.04 Climate: cold... »

The" Fan Fare " Entry
Date: 3.9.04
Climate: feels more like fall, not spring
Eating: cous cous
Drinking: water
Feeling: tired
Listening to: John Kerry
Watching: John Kerry
Reading: a great new book that has "paneled" discussions about various topics like the values and dimishment of dissent that is very very old: Hannah Arendt and Norman Mailer are on the panels. I found it on a very dusty shelf in the back of the social sciences library :)

Here's a brief excerpt from what I wrote to my old editor, Jay, about the Rally tonight:
"To be quite frank about the whole thing, i'm forced to draw some comparisons:::
I dated a guy who worked at the Metro for two years and I worked for UR at the time, and I went to some of these soirees in my own right...but anyway, during that time, we went to a few high end music events complete with major label heads and industry folk, fashionistas and writers...and I always found myself disgusted with the level of self importance and networking that went on, never mind the sheer lack of focus for the ultimate reason we were all there, be it a fundraiser or release or whatever. Tonight's rally really was no different--the people I was coupled with were completely decked in the standard blue suit, all talking shop about what they do, what they think, what they care about...they didn't really address Kerry, or the election for that matter--they just sorta held signs for when the cameras were rolling. And never mind that Kerry showed up two hours late--I felt like I was waiting for Bowie.
Also, the signs that were "homemade" looking, weren't--probably the work of some sad campaign functional--my friend got to hold one that said "Shalom Kerry"--he's an Irishman. It was just handed to him, red paint on a blue piece of tagboard...he (I call him Tulane since he went to school there, obviously) just said "Right...shalom Kerry! Yeah! Shalom!"

This rally was so insanely media focused that I just wanted to leave but I waited for so bloody long that there was no way. I just realize that politics in the big money sense, aka the sense it takes to win, may not be my forte just yet. give me the poor and disabled any day to the army of blue suits and television faces that tonight brought me...and whatever Kerry said...I mean, he's not Bush--thats that. But if he had kept us waiting thirty minutes more I swear I was going to yell out "Five more minutes and we're voting for Nader!"


Archives