« Home | The" Getting Ready " Entry Date: June 17. The mont... » | i hate it when my computer says No Cookies. I have... » | The" Future-Forward " Entry Date: hump day: Wednes... » | The" and so? " Entry Date: 15 June Climate: summah... » | @work. Lucy1Ford: all I do at work is munch on ... » | ps) Kill Hannah is recording with The Matrix. Bec... » | The" 90 minutes " Entry Date: 14June Climate: Mich... » | This cannot be happening. Wanna dress like a Bar... » | The" argumentative " Entry Date: 11june Climate: I... » | The" nuts and berries " Entry Date: 10 June Climat... »

The"Rice a Roni" Entry
Date: June 18
Climate: colder--
Eating: --
Drinking: smoothie
Feeling: sad and irritable (great combo!)
Listening to: Whatever crap this internet coffee house is playing, a la 1970's rock.
Watching: trollycars
Reading: more Vanity Fair--Richard Clark

So here I am in San Francisco.
The flight was absolutely horrible: long and cramped (who puts me in fucking row 38E?! I was in between two people with just two rows from the back. I felt like I was perpetually leaning back...grrr. Plus, it was as hot as hell.
There was also a family with three kids, all under the age of 3, one an infant that was incessantly crying. I am not saying I don't like children because, lets be honest here, we all know about the 180 I pulled since I started dating Eddie, but this was insane. It was nearly five hours...were we being slave traded?
When I got into the airport, it was an additional hour on the shuttle to the hotel. One more hour in yet another form of transportation and my mood when we got the Grand Hyatt was, to say the least, grating at best.
To add to the fun, the woman informed me that I was "in a room with one king bed, so a rollaway was going to be brought in."
The Fuck?
My roomate is not a small person, not fat, but I would never have put her on a rollaway so regardless of my seeming cavalier, I really didn't see any other way except for her to take the King and me the rollaway.
I freaked out, but not in a screeching way, just in that slightly cold and assertive trademark that I exude. When I got into the room, I called the front desk and told them that, due to the fact that I was going to be here until Thursday, keeping me on a rollaway for fucking seven days was insane, especially due to the amount of money that is being spent on my first business trip ever.
Anyway.
So I bolted out of the hotel, and didn't bother unpacking which is a surefire sign something is wrong: my poor clothes are probably so suffocated in those bags but I am hoping that my anticipation for another room and hence, not unpacking as that would be silly, in my little world, will encourge the hotel gods to get me a room with two beds, even if their two fucking twin beds.
So I left and hopped outside, and walked all around the downtown which only furthered depressed me. You see, much like any downtown, there is a monster sized Gap. A massive Abercrombie. An Urban Outfitters. A Godiva chocolatier...aka the faceless paved streets of any downtown. I was so angry...I couldn't believe that my refuge was even discouraged outside.
I walked into a record store and asked where I could get to Amoeba records, which wasn't really quite diplomatic, all things considered. But I did and was in that "bitchy" mood so they just told me to take the 7 or 71 bus towards Golden Gate Park, and to get off around the Haight-Ashbury area.
As a side note, there are many, many individuals that are clearly of Asian descent which makes me feel very comfortable, but it also seems to allow for much more forward men, too. White boys even.

One was a full blown man, good looking but...a man. in a suit. who was staring at me from across the street and as I crossed as the light allowed, he leans in and says, sorta laughing and talking, "You caught my eye...I was admiring your shirt across the street. Great station, isn't it?"(I had on my homemade NPR tshirt). I just said yes and ran across the street. I was hoping a trolly would hit me so I could just opt out of the rest of this "trip." But then, I found the bus finally and got on, and didn't have exact fare so the bus driver just winked at me and waved me on. Nice man, too, I guess. Evidently everyone is nice here.
Even on the bus!
Two guys who I initially thought were gay saddled up next to me after my first friend (a woman from new mexico) chatted to me about being new to the city, and I being able to relate, had easy chit chat with her. But these two, well, they were also good looking but wayyy too interested.
"I over heard you talking with taht woman, you're from Chicago? You've never been to Amoeba? Yeah its great, what doyou like to listen to? What are you here for? How long?"
... and so on and so forth. I would like to think that they were just being friendly but seeing as thats just too many for one "friendly day" (and where were the women?!) I think not.
I finally made my way to Amoeba which really is fantastic: so large and detailed. I bought a Smiths album AND the out of pring That Dog album that I lost in one of my moves..and a few post cards i'll send out.
I was pretty happy then.
So I walked down the street and wandered down here to this little cafe and am typing furiously before I find another kind soul to get me directions on which bus to take back...now that I have cleared my head, the bitchiness has subsided. Now its mostly sadness that I am here alone, and miss Eddie more than I can even think to feel...so much I almost threw up seeing things he and I would laugh and poke fun at.
I need to call him now.

I'll try to keep you posted on this little trip...and the bridge walk is tomorrow at 6am! Yippee! I love Jet Lag!
(really in this case, I think it will work to my advantage, its on the way back that it will suck).
Friends, feel free to call. I could use a familiar voice.

ps) and nothing makes my heart feel warmer than seeing the Kill Hannah major label release on the 1.99 rack at Amoeba --There is my justice;)

Archives